Wednesday 14 December 2011

Derren Brown-The Guilt trip.

I have got to be honest and say I have never been a Derren Brown fan. I have always found him a little weird and i'd never wanted to watch any of his programmes!
Although I still think he's weird, I found The Guilt trip fascinating! Thanks to Fiona for suggesting we watch it.

In this show Derren Brown used Ivor Pavlov's theory of Conditioning to produce feelings of guilt. Using an unsuspecting Surestart worker called Jody, who fitted the type of person who is most likely to make a false confession.

By inducing mild feelings of guilt then playing a bell sound and a touch on the shoulder (Conditioned stimulus), Jody began to feel guilt on Que. (Unconditioned response.)

The actors were also directed to confuse Jody and he began to have doubts in his memory. During dinner Jody was distracted while the actors swapped his plate, making it seem as if Jody had forgotten eating his meal. This reminded me of Piaget's Perception experiment.

Then as a trail run , Derren asked the actor's to play out a scenario where Jody would find a set of stolen pearls in his room. The conditioning tools were used and Joby started to panic. He then decided to hide the pearls and blame one of the actors. This is something that children often do to avoid being caught out.

This was great to watch, seeing how conditioning works and referring it to our studies. I did feel a little uncomfortable watching it, as I felt so sorry for poor Jody! Luckily he saw the funny side of it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment